Thursday, October 15, 2015

My Cheeky Little Go Fund Me

As most of you know I have spent most of the last month and a half volunteering for an organization called L'auberge des Migrants  on the ground here in Calais at the Jungle refugee camp. I have been asked by the organization to stay on for a few more weeks to be one of the 3 coordinators running the new pilot
flat-pack housing project happening in camp, as well as to help hand off this duty to whoever comes after me.

There are 6,000 refugees in the Jungle and the winter is coming on fast. One day this week was 3 degrees C/ 37F while raining torrentially and it’s only mid-October! The majority of people are living in tents that are not water proof, set up on ground that frequently floods (often times with waters contaminated with ecoli and other diseases), and many people have told me that they don’t sleep because they are too cold. 

This new housing project aims to house 50-100 people a day with temporary shelters that are raised off the ground to protect from flooding, have insulation to keep them warm, 4 wooden walls as opposed to the blankets they are now using, a real roof instead of garbage bags, ventilation, and locks so that people feel free leaving their things and stepping out during the day, not worrying about being robbed at night, etc. It’s much more dignified, and practical than their current situations and will ultimately provide a little protection in an otherwise highly unstable environment. 

In order for me to be able to take this on I need to be able to sustain myself while here. This means I have a very ambitious goal of raising: 700 Euros (which is approx 800 USD.)

This money will be spent as following over 3 weeks: hostel accommodation, food, transportation costs both to and from camp and in and out of Calais, basic necessities like shampoo, conditioner, etc, and the occasional out of pocket things we buy for refugees when distributions aren’t reaching them. 

It’s a lot of money, but if half of my FB friends donated just 1.50 euro (or I would have more money than I need!)

If any money is made past this it will go to buying supplies for camp, to the project itself, and/or small gifts for my refugee friends I’ve made while here (things like thick gloves, which come in handy in preventing injuries while climbing over barbed wire; gas canisters for cooking the food handed out during distribution days; dictionaries for people who are seeking asylum in countries where they don’t speak the language, etc.) 

The link is here: https://www.gofundme.com/xn6n2qq8

Thanks!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment